Akino Fuku Musuem

Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2010 | 0 comments

   Yesterday we drove about an hour and a half to visit the Hamamatsu Akino Fuku Museum. This little museum came highly recommended by someone who works for the Shizuoka Performing Arts Center (SPAC). I had initially never even heard of Akino Fuku, but after researching the museum online was interested in going just for the building alone. I tend to love architecture, and this structure is a work of art in and of itself.
  ...But...the works inside also just happened to be shockingly...spectacular. I honestly could've stayed in the gallery for a good few hours, staring at some of these pieces. Keep in mind that this last comment comes from someone who grew tired of the Louvre in less than 2 hours and instead wanted to go back outside and view the edifices.
  I would have loved to have purchased a print of at least 1 of my 3 favorite paintings from the gallery, but the ones that were available for sale sadly didn't do justice to the actual works. This woman worked some kind of magic with lighting: I wanted to walk into several of her larger canvasses.
  Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much about Akino Fuku's life online in English, although I did find this link from the national Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto (MOMAK): http://www.momak.go.jp/English/exhibitionArchive/2008/363.html
I do know that she spent time in India (which largely influenced a lot of her works), and also in I think Africa, among other countries. If I can find any more information on her, I'll be sure to add a link in a following post.

              Eel lunch before the museum, courtesy of Yuki's generous uncle and aunt

                               

                   Akino Fuku Musuem in Hamamatsu (Hamakita/Tenryu area)

                             



                                        The artist herself

                                        Museum Lobby

                        The galleries (unfortunately, no pictures were allowed inside)



               My 3 favorite pieces (but as I said, these don't do the actual paintings any justice): 
                            Desert Guide, painted in 2001, the year she died

                       Ganges, painted in 1999  Again...you really need to see it in person

                          Udayagiri Monastery I, painted in 1992

0 comments: